- Vandermeer, J., A. Aga, J. Allgeier, C. Badgley, R. Baucom, J. Blesh, L. Fink Shapiro, L. Hoey, M. Jain, A. Jones, I. Perfecto, M.L. Wilson (Submitted). Feeding Prometheus: an interdisciplinary approach for solving the global food crisis.
- Liu, T., M.E. Marlier, A.N. Karambelas, M. Jain, S. Singh, M.K. Singh, R. Gautam, and R.S. DeFries (In Review). High resolution estimation of post-monsoon agricultural burned area in northwestern India.
- Urban, D., K. Guan, M. Jain (In Review). Estimating sowing dates from satellite data over the U.S. Midwest: a comparison of multiple sensors and metrics.
- Jain, M., R. Fishman, P. Mondal, G.L. Galford, N. Bhattarai, S. Naeem, R.S. DeFries (In Review). Groundwater Depletion Will Reduce Cropping Intensity in India.
- Bhattarai, N., K. Mallick, N. Brunsell, G. Sun, M. Jain (In Review). Regional-scale evapotranspiration from the Surface Temperature Initiated Closure model across an aridity gradient in the conterminous United States.
- Fishman, R., M. Jain, A. Kishore (In Revision). When Water Runs Out: Adaptation to Gradual Environmental Change in Indian Agriculture.
- Azzari, G., M. Jain, D.B. Lobell (In Press). Towards Fine Resolution Global Maps of Crop Yields: Testing Multiple Methods and Sensors in Three Countries. Remote Sensing of Environment.
- Jain, M., B. Singh, A. Srivastava, R.K. Malik, A. McDonald, D.B. Lobell (2017). Using Satellite Data to Identify the Causes of and Potential Solutions for Yield Gaps in India's Wheat Belt. Environmental Research Letters. 12: 094011.
* selected as a 'Featured Article' by the Editorial Board of ERL
* Press: Scidev.net, University Record, Phys.org, Michigan News (Hindi)
- D.B. Kramer, J. Hartter, A.E. Boag, M. Jain, K.J. Stevens, K.A. Nicholas, W. McConnell, J. Liu (2017). Top 40 Transformative Questions in Coupled Human and Natural Systems (CHANS) Research. Ecology and Society. 22(2): 4.
- Jain, M., P. Mondal, G.L. Galford, G. Fiske, R.S. DeFries (2017). An Automated Approach to Mapping Cropped Area of Smallholder Farms Across Large Scales. Remote Sensing. 9:566
- Jain, M., A. Srivastava, B. Singh, A. McDonald, K. Royal, M.C. Lisaius, D.B. Lobell (2016). Mapping Smallholder Wheat Yields and Sow Dates Using Microsatellite Data. Remote Sensing 8(10): 860.
- Mondal, P., M. Jain, M. Zukowski, G. Galford, R.S. DeFries (2016). Quantifying fluctuations in the winter cropped area in the Central Indian Highlands. Regional Environmental Change 16: 69-82.
- Feola, G., A.M. Lerner, M. Jain, M.J.F. Montefrio, K.A. Nicholas (2015). Researching Farmer Behavior in Climate Change Adaptation and Sustainable Agriculture: Lessons Learned From Five Case Studies. Journal of Rural Studies. 35: 74-84.
- Jain, M., S. Naeem, B. Orlove, V. Modi, R.S. DeFries (2015). Understanding the Causes and Consequences of Differential Decision-Making in Adaptation Research: Adapting to a Delayed Monsoon Onset in Gujarat, India. Global Environmental Change. 31: 98-109.
* selected as one of the top papers in GEC that has advanced the frontiers of adaptation research over the past 10 years
- Mondal, P., M. Jain, R.S. DeFries, G.L. Galford, C. Small (2015). Sensitivity of crop cover to climate variability: Insights from two Indian agro-ecoregions. Journal of Environmental Management. 148: 21-30.
- Mondal, P., M. Jain, A.W. Robertson, G.L. Galford, C. Small, R.S. DeFries (2014). Winter crop sensitivity to inter-annual climate variability in central India. Climatic Change. 126: 61-76.
- Wood, S., A. Jina, M. Jain, P. Kristjanson, R.S. DeFries (2014). Smallholder farmer cropping decisions related to climate variability across multiple regions. Global Environmental Change. 25: 163-172.
- Jain, M., Y. Lim, J.A. Arce-Nazario, M. Uriarte (2014). Perceptional and socio-demographic factors associated with household water treatment in rural Puerto Rico. PLoS ONE. 9(2): 1-8.
- Jain, M., D.F.B. Flynn, C.M. Prager, G.M. Hart, C.M. DeVan, F.S. Ahrestani, M.I. Palmer, D.E. Bunker, J.M.H. Knops, C.F. Jouseau, and S. Naeem (2014). The importance of rare species: A trait based assessment of the potential for rare species to contribute to ecosystem function in tall-grass prairies. Ecology and Evolution. 4(1): 104-112.
- Jain, M., P. Mondal, R.S. DeFries, C. Small, G.L. Galford (2013). Mapping cropping intensity of smallholder farms – a comparison of methods using multiple sensors. Remote Sensing of Environment. 134: 210-223.
- Balvanera, P., M. Uriarte, L. Almeida-Lenero, A. Altesor, F. DeClerck, T. Gardner, J. Hall, A. Lara, P. Laterra, M. Pena-Claros, D.M.S. Matos, L.P. Romero-Duque, A.L. Vogl, L.F. Arreola, A.P. Caro-Borrero, F. Gallego, M. Jain, C. Little, R. de Oliveira Xavier, J.M. Paruelo, J.E. Peinado, L. Poorter, N. Ascarrunz, F. Correa, M.B. Cunha-Santino, A.P. Hernandez-Sanchez, M. Vallejos (2012). Ecosystem Services Research in Latin America: The state of the art. Ecosystem Services. 2: 56-70.
- C.B. Yackulic*, M. Fagan*, M. Jain*, A. Jina, Y. Lim, M. Marlier, R. Muscarella, P. Adame, R.S. DeFries, M. Uriarte (2011). Biophysical and Socioeconomic Factors Associated with Forest Transitions at Multiple Spatial and Temporal Scales. Ecology and Society. 16(3): 15.
- Odadi, W., M. Jain, S. Van Wieren, H.T. Prins, D.I. Rubenstein (2011). Facilitation between bovids and equids on an African savanna. Evolutionary Ecology Research. 13:237-252.
- Flynn, DFP. N. Mirotchnick, M. Jain, M.I. Palmer, S. Naeem (2011). Functional and phylogentic diversity as predictors of biodiversity-ecosystem-function relationships. Ecology. 92(8): 1573-1581.1
- Forbes, T., V. Goss, M. Jain, P.C. Burns (2007). Structure Determination and Infrared Spectroscopy of K(UO2)(SO4)(OH)(H2O) and K(UO2)(SO4)(OH). Inorganic Chemistry. 26(18):7163-7168
Students I have mentored are underlined.
* first authorship was shared equally by starred authors.